Sunday, May 27, 2012

Seasons Change and So D[o Other Things]

Today's blag-o-blag is about changes.

The first and most obvious change is Offspring.  Hello, Offspring!

Terrorist Fist Bump

He's almost four weeks old.  Still a little too small to go out and run with me, but I've been getting out.

Here's another change.  I saw this and thought it was funny:

If we just carve over it, no one will know...
I almost didn't take that picture, thinking I could come back and do it later, but it's a good thing I didn't wait.

Two days later
They went to a lot of effort to erase that mistake!  They've been demolishing a lot of stuff around town, actually.

Let's see...I gave myself two hernias recently.  I decided to go to almost entirely bodyweight exercises, a la Herschel Walker.  He didn't touch weights until his college and NFL coaches made him, and presumably he didn't touch them after he left the NFL to become a dancer, Olympic bobsledder, MMA fighter, and general super human.  Here he is around the age of 50 after he just knocked someone out:

Don't make grandpa angry
Apparently the dude does several thousand reps of push-ups, sit-ups, and/or pull-ups a day (can't find exact stats).  I cannot...  The doctor actually cleared me to do all exercises again, but I've been sticking with the bodyweight stuff for the time being.  I'll be going to field training in a month, so I figure I might as well work on my push-ups so I can show-up the cadets.

To that end, my workout today was pull-ups and pull-ups, followed by a 7.3-mile barefoot run with more push-ups every eight minutes along the way (760 total for the day).  Doing push-ups along a run is a great way to get a bunch in, by the by.  Your chest and arms get a rest but your body is still warm and ready to pump them out again; I didn't have any trouble doing sets of 60 until the last three.


View 5/27/2012 12:16 PM in a larger map

I certainly didn't push myself, but my feet feel totally fine.  They seem to be adapting quite well (see, more change).


While on the run, I got the best cat call of all time.  I have this theory about cat calls...they seem to mostly happen from people in automobiles.  It's like that feeling of invincibility that inspires road rage also gives them confidence that there will be no repercussions for honking and hooting at someone (and they're probably right).  Well, we can now extend that theory to bicycles because some girl gave me a 'ring ring!' from her old-timey bike bell and a flirtatious eyebrow raise to match.


And that's despite the pussy pustules of pus and pussiness on my stomach.  Not that you want to see this, but...


Yummy.  I have close-ups if you want.
At first I thought it was poison ivy from another run on some trails.  I developed quite an allergy to poisonous plants...just ask my brother-in-law.  I went on vacation with Sara's family when we were still dating, so I roomed with him.  Poor guy had to listen to me unconsciously clawing at my itchy skin all night, to the point that it made him get up in the middle of the night and sleep out in the living room (still feel terrible about that!).


But the more I thought about it, the more I thought that couldn't be it.  My legs weren't really recovering after runs for the past week which clued me in that something might be wrong. I had a brainwave and looked up shingles.  Sure enough, the symptoms seem to match (though it appears to be a very mild case).  I mean, just look at this:




Seems pretty classic...affects one side of the body in a band.  Wonderful.  So there's a change, a new disease I haven't had before.  At least the worst of it seems to be over because I took off yesterday and felt pretty normal today.  Normal enough for a run, and I was still feeling strong about five miles into it when I ran by the math building.  That's where I saw a bunch of these.


Is that...?
"Surely not," I said to myself.  Then I took a closer look.


Dear god, it is!
Yup.  Someone was definitely writing out mathematical series, some with the work to prove their arithmeticalness or geometricness.


So, uh, yeah.  That's my blag.  Sorry it's pretty random, but there was a lot to get caught up on.

Also sorry for the shingles.  But it did affect the running quite substantially over the last week so I thought it was worth a mention.



I'm not sorry for the series.  If you don't like math, you can get over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment