It gets dark at like two in the afternoon these days, so I have limited time between work and twilight. That also makes it colder when I go out to run. See Figure 1 below.
I meant to be back before it started getting dark, but alas I failed. See Figure 2 below.
Luckily for me, I was just about to turn west as I was south of Route 105.
View 2011-12-12 16:42 in a larger map
Why is that lucky you ask? Well, by going west for about a mile, I gained some daylight.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=24+hours+*+60+minutes%2Fhour+*+60+seconds%2Fmin+%2F+24901.47+miles+*+1+mile
3.5 seconds. Neat, huh?
What? What?
Edit: Thanks to Dan Stedman for pointing out I had an error. I fix, I fix.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1+mile+%2F+%5B%5B+cos%2841%29+*+%28diameter+of+the+earth+in+miles%29+*+pi+%5D++%2F+%5B24+hours+*+60+mins+%2F+hour+*+60+secs%2Fmin%5D%5D
I was getting some radians and some miles crossed. I actually got 4.6 seconds back because one mile at 41 degrees latitude is worth more radians than one mile at 0 degrees latitude. Also, a strong thanks to Euclid. Dude rules.
Additional thanks to Wolfram Alpha for being ridiculous.
|
|
View 2011-12-12 16:42 in a larger map
Why is that lucky you ask? Well, by going west for about a mile, I gained some daylight.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=24+hours+*+60+minutes%2Fhour+*+60+seconds%2Fmin+%2F+24901.47+miles+*+1+mile
3.5 seconds. Neat, huh?
What? What?
Edit: Thanks to Dan Stedman for pointing out I had an error. I fix, I fix.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1+mile+%2F+%5B%5B+cos%2841%29+*+%28diameter+of+the+earth+in+miles%29+*+pi+%5D++%2F+%5B24+hours+*+60+mins+%2F+hour+*+60+secs%2Fmin%5D%5D
I was getting some radians and some miles crossed. I actually got 4.6 seconds back because one mile at 41 degrees latitude is worth more radians than one mile at 0 degrees latitude. Also, a strong thanks to Euclid. Dude rules.
Additional thanks to Wolfram Alpha for being ridiculous.


No comments:
Post a Comment