Saturday, July 16, 2011

Go Pound Sand

Guess where I am?



Yes, the beach, but which one?


View 2011-07-16 06:23 in a larger map

Los Outer Bankstros, yes.  I went running this morning after inexplicably waking up at 6 am on my vacation.  Where we always rent a house, there's always the same pier off in the northern distance.  It belongs to the Corps of Engineers, who have a research and preserve area on the island.  Part of the reason for the reserve is we polluted the Outer Banks with unexploded ordnance by having a bombing range on the island...oops.

The Crab
They roll this guy out into the ocean
during hurricanes to do research




The pier turned out to be 4.6ish miles from our house, so I figured I may as well finish out the last little bit to make it an even five.  When I did, I found something I've never seen here before:  a puffer fish!



I always feel a little morbid taking pictures of dead things, but this fascinated me.  I didn't realize they were found this far north.  Apparently the Outer Banks is the very northern edge of their range.


I saw another rarish sight around where I found the blowfish:




I believe they usually put these signs up when they spot a rip tide.  This bodes well for my surf aspirations.



No comments:

Post a Comment