Tuesday, July 19, 2011

High-Risk Activities

Yesterday I wanted to go up that little finger of land on the west side of the island, but it turned out to be a gated community so I just went up to the bridge and turned around.  As it turns out, running across the bridge is possible and I may make it my next run, but I don't know.  We all know how much I dislike out-and-backs...especially really long out-and-backs...but I may make an exception so that I can say I've done it.


View 2011-07-18 07:57 in a larger map

I witnessed something kind of scary on Croatan Highway:
I look for sexual overtones in my christian childcare
You hire priests, you say?  Sign my kid up!

I have a story.  I've never been very good at sports like football and basketball partly because my catching and throwing skills aren't amazing, and partly because I'm not good at providing or evading one-on-one coverage.  Mentally the strategy escapes me of where best to position my body in different situations, which for some people seems to come naturally.  I'm sure some of that comes with practice, but I don't think I'd ever be great at it.


The other reason I've never been very good at sports like football and basketball is I've never been particularly quick.  Even on the rare occasion when I'm in the right spot at the right time and know where someone is going, I often miss the play because I'm not fast enough.  So when my father-in-law decided he was going to challenge the sixteen year-olds on the beach to a game of touch football, I started wondering if I would be any better given that I'm faster now than I've ever been.


I tried matching myself up with the guy on the other team who was doing the most juking and running to test that out.  I was doing alright against him, but he got past me on one play and was about to get a touchdown.  I made a kind of mad dash and a lunge for him, fully expecting to miss because he had an open lane to the end zone, but this kid really liked to juke and inexplicably did it right into me.

Cut me, Mick!
I saw stars and was a little dizzy, but I told the coach to put me back in.  The kid was NOT happy that I hit him that hard, but it's not my fault that he decided to get run over.  I think I got him in the mouth because I saw him spit on the ground and then tell one of his buddies, "Look at that!"  I assume it was bloody.

Yeah, but you should see the other guy!

I'm happy with the magnitude of my first black eye

1 comment: