Seriously. Why do people choose to live in these places? It was 150 yesterday in both degrees and percentage of humidity. This is where the Air Force decided to set up its summer training. Smaaaart.
On Sunday on the drive down, Tack turned 100,000 miles (and I forgot how to say the whole number before that):
He's a good little car.
The trip took about 12.5 hours from where I was, so after getting out of the car I wanted to stretch out my legs a little:
I did that run barefoot. I was going to go to the gym, but it closes stupid early on the weekend:
One of the many reasons I hated this base.
So I took off and started seeing the sites. First up was the paper clip (running track) and the flickerball fields, where we used to play a stupid stupid game called Icarus:
I hated the fields much more than the track, but
I'll bet those of you who went to field training
here have a different sentiment.
Then there was the building I spent six weeks of my life hating the same:
I was the last room on the right on the second floor.
Thankfully, I'm in much nicer quarters this time around.
Today I went about the same distance because it's still way too hot and, if all goes according to plan, I'm going to get up early to go for a long run tomorrow morning:
But the ones I have are a little too big and slipped off so I switched to my Vibrams. That sucks, because the pair I bought before were a little too small and this is the next size up. I'll have to modify this pair with a cinch of some sort. Luckily, they're only like ten bucks a pop so it's not a big deal. If these work out I've definitely found a cheap alternative to Vibrams, and one that I'll be able to get away with in uniform...I think.
By the way, if you are just getting into the minimalist thing, terrain like this doesn't phase me at all any more when I'm wearing my FiveFingers:
I don't show that to brag, but my friend Steph asked me if it gets better, and the answer is, yes, it does. I still don't go looking for rocks to slam on, but a combination of factors including just being used to the sensation and getting better at a barefoot gait makes it so that when I do it's not so bad. When I can run on something like this completely barefoot, then I'll know I'm really getting somewhere.
That road was down by the river, the river I'll be playing in on a sit-on-top kayak this Saturday =D
No comments:
Post a Comment