Behold! Behold the terrible NC-17 rated carnage!
I thought I felt a hot spot around mile two...halfway through my 5k I ran over some concrete wet from sprinklers that I think finally did the toe in, though. The wet makes the skin more rendible.
Speaking of that 5k, I did a 5 minute warmup straight into it and I ran a 19:29. I was very pleased considering I'm not fresh, there was no break after a warmup, and I was barefoot.
View 2011-06-28 17:54 in a larger map
After that I did a thirteen-minute cool-down, hobbled up the stairs, and investigated my toe. It's recovering nicely.
So, a quick word about running and nutrition. When Chris McDougall asked his trainers what he should eat, he was told, "Worry about the running and the eating will take care of itself." Basically, your body tells you how/when/what to eat if you listen to it. This is true whether you're training or not, but the feedback is amplified when you're running. Case in point: let's talk apples.
I love apples. I could eat them every day...and often times I do. The problem is I can't eat apples within twelve hours before a run. Why? Who knows what runner's trot is? It's not pleasant. And nothing gives me runner's trot more than eating an apple 4-5 hours before a hard run in hot, humid weather.
Today I had an apple-containing fruit salad for lunch, and I paid the price for it. I don't know why my body tells me not to eat apples before running but it does, so I generally obey. The good news is I think apples are a great post-run food...they give you some sugar to replace glycogen, some vitamins and minerals, and they're juicy so they help you get re-hydrated. An apple tastes sooooo nom after a long run in hot weather.
Point is, listen up! Your body gives you more information than you can process, but if you listen in once in a while it will tell you what it needs. And note, my body doesn't tell me not to eat apples, just when not to.
|
Speaking of that 5k, I did a 5 minute warmup straight into it and I ran a 19:29. I was very pleased considering I'm not fresh, there was no break after a warmup, and I was barefoot.
View 2011-06-28 17:54 in a larger map
After that I did a thirteen-minute cool-down, hobbled up the stairs, and investigated my toe. It's recovering nicely.
So, a quick word about running and nutrition. When Chris McDougall asked his trainers what he should eat, he was told, "Worry about the running and the eating will take care of itself." Basically, your body tells you how/when/what to eat if you listen to it. This is true whether you're training or not, but the feedback is amplified when you're running. Case in point: let's talk apples.
|
Today I had an apple-containing fruit salad for lunch, and I paid the price for it. I don't know why my body tells me not to eat apples before running but it does, so I generally obey. The good news is I think apples are a great post-run food...they give you some sugar to replace glycogen, some vitamins and minerals, and they're juicy so they help you get re-hydrated. An apple tastes sooooo nom after a long run in hot weather.
Point is, listen up! Your body gives you more information than you can process, but if you listen in once in a while it will tell you what it needs. And note, my body doesn't tell me not to eat apples, just when not to.


No comments:
Post a Comment